Friday, November 23, 2007

The 13th step

Re-reading the preceding posts, it occurs to me that the WIP I mentioned was in fact completed. Or the first draft anyway. Right now I'm fighting with myself to stick to the NaNo project I took up this year. Only one more week and I'll be done with it, for now. I don't know if it's the usual Inner Editor conflict, but I've become convinced these past couple of days that it's really not very good. To compensate, I've been touting the Factory of Being project to myself again, and I'm eager to start on the first edit now.

This in turn relates to this project because of another article I read in the N.Y.T. about the "Happiness Project", wherein one keeps a gratefulness journal, on the principle that if you keep one long enough for it to work - I think it was at least 3 months - you start to feel better. Does this mean that the brain rewires, or is it just that, like a Learned Optimism process, just taking a different POV about your life transforms the reality into something positive, or both?

Anyway. Let's begin. I don't really know where to start, because there is little to complain about in my life. My only dissatisfaction is with myself.

Reasons to be Grateful:
- Perfect overall health
- Very good marriage (all things considered)
- A wonderful daughter (and if this were ordered according to importance, this would have come first)
- No financial woes (they only exist in my husband's head. Objectively our situation is better than adequate)

All of these factors should mean I'd be happy, right? Not really, because of my outlook on life, thus the new project.

So today I'm adding a specific point. I've regained some faith in the F.o.B. as a worthwhile project. Considering it's been the focal point of my creative life for an incredibly long time, I'd say that's a major plus.

No comments: